What You Need to Maintain Your Pool
Are you a new pool owner? If so, you may be asking yourself, “What do I need to maintain my pool?” The list of pool maintenance supplies can be a long one, and it may be difficult to figure out exactly what you need. If you are looking for pool supplies in Torrance, CA, or in your area, here is an ABC Pool & Patio list of a few essential items to help you narrow down your search.
Essential Pool Maintenance Supplies
- You need to purchase pool chemicals to prevent harmful bacteria. Different types of bacteria can cause skin irritation and can damage your pool. To prevent this, you will need chlorine as well as several balancing agents, such as chlorine balancing agents, calcium balancing agents, and alkaline balancing agents. You should also consider purchasing algaecide to prevent algae growth.
- Sometimes, especially after a long time of no use, your pool will need pool shock. Pool shock cleans all of the contaminants out of your water and is very helpful in maintaining water quality.
- In order to make sure you have the correct amount of each chemical, you need to buy a test kit. Its purpose is to let you know exactly what is in your water, so make sure your test kit is high quality.
- A filter is essential for effective pool maintenance. Your pool’s pump will circulate the water, and the filter will trap large particles and stop them from entering and contaminating your pool.
- Something you will possibly use more than anything else is a pool skimmer. If you have ever been in a pool, you know that you can often find dirt, bugs, and leaves floating on the surface. These obstructions not only look unattractive, but they can also cause the growth of bacteria. Having a pool skimmer near your pool will make cleaning up these particles quick and easy.
- In addition to a pool skimmer, you should also invest in a pool vacuum and a pool brush. The skimmer gets all of the debris off of the top of the water, but you will need a vacuum to clean all of the dirt that has settled on the bottom of the pool and a pool brush to get the dirt that has accumulated on the sides. You will typically have two options when it comes to pool vacuums. Some styles work similarly to that of a normal carpet vacuum, and other styles are self-powered and run along the bottom on their own. Before you vacuum, though, use your pool brush to get all of the dirt off of the sides and let it fall to the bottom where your vacuum will clean it up.
- It is common for caulk around pools to crack, so you should have some handy to fill in the cracks. Unfilled cracks can begin to collect particles of dirt and moss and cause structural damage if they are not cleaned out and filled in quickly.
- If you have a diving board or slide, be sure to have fiberglass cleaner and polish. The cleaner will protect the surfaces from being damaged by the sun, and polish will keep the slide slippery.
- It is essential to properly prepare your pool for wintertime. Cold weather can cause structural damage and can contaminate your water, so make sure you have a winterizing kit to protect your pool during the cold winter months.
These are the essential supplies to keep your pool clean and functioning properly. Now you can confidently start your search for pool supplies in Torrance, CA, or in your hometown.